Melasma is known as a chronic skin condition that can cause discoloration on your skin. It often appears as brown or blue-gray patches on the upper lip, upper cheeks, forehead and chin. The main causes of melasma are external sun exposure and hormonal changes, so the best treatments should be eliminating these causes.
List Of 10 Natural Ways On How To Treat Melasma Naturally
In this article, we will show you some of the best home remedies for melasma that you should include in your skincare routine without needing to worry about side effect. So, if you are worried about discoloration on your skin and want to know how to get rid of them with the help of natural ingredients, you should keep your eyes on this article right now
- What Is Melasma?
Melasma is a common skin condition and it is more common in women than men. Melasma affects the natural skin’s color, causing the formation of brown or gray patches on facial skin or body skin. The leading cause of melasma is the overproduction of melanin in skin cells caused by excessive sun exposure. Besides, some other factors that contribute to this skin problem are hormonal changes, toxins, excessive stress, the use of birth control pills and thyroid problems.
- 10 Natural Ways On How To Treat Melasma Naturally
There are many treatment options for melasma in the market, but they can cause side effects. Instead, you can try using natural ingredients to treat melasma without side effects.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
This is the first one on the list of ways on how to treat melasma at home that I want to mention in this article and want all of my readers to know for good. The acetic acids found in apple cider vinegar make it a wonderful natural bleaching agent. It can help remove spots and give your skin a smoother and more radiant look.
- Mix equal amounts of undiluted apple cider vinegar and water.
- Then, apply this solution on your melasma spots and let it sit on until it naturally dries.
- Wash it off with warm water before gently patting it dry.
- Repeat this remedy once a day.
Read on 35 Best Ways On How To Exfoliate Skin Naturally At Home to discover some of the home remedies for exfoliating skin without causing any side effect.
- Onion Juice
Onion juice is another great way on how to treat melasma naturally at home for you. Actually, onion juice has sulfur-containing compounds, so it can fade out discoloration or dark patches on your skin. Moreover, onion juice also gives nourishment to your skin cells.
- Chop 2- 3 onions and then extract the juice
- Mix the equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and onion juice
- Apply this solution on your melasma spots with the help of a cotton ball.
- Let it rest for about 20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day for several weeks.
List of 34 Tips On How To Get Rid Of Hyperpigmentation On Face And Body will show you some of the natural treatments for hyperpigmentation on facial and body skin.
Oatmeal is a great natural exfoliating agent that can help you remove melasma spots on the skin and remove dead skin cells to give your skin a brighter, glowing look.
- Mix 2 tbsp. each of oatmeal powder and milk and 1 tbsp. of honey together
- Apply this mixture on your melasma spots and leave it on for about 20 minutes
- Then, rub off this mixture with clean water.
- Pat it dry with the help of a clean towel.
- Repeat this remedy 2- 3 times a week within a month.
Horseradish is another great way on how to treat melasma naturally that you should try out! The bleaching properties found in horseradish can bleach out any discoloration on the skin.
- Cut horseradish into some slices and then apply it directly on your affected skin.
- Allow it to dry out naturally.
- Then, wash it off with warm water before patting it dry.
- Repeat this remedy once a week until you get your desired results.
- Add 2 tbsp. of horseradish powder to a cup of sour cream.
- Then, apply it on your skin and then let it sit on for half an hour.
- Rinse your skin with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy once a week.
Sandalwood can help to lighten your skin, improve skin complexion and simultaneously reduce the symptoms of melasma effectively. Actually, this is another great way on how to treat melasma naturally that you should not look down.
- Mix equal amounts of sandalwood power, lemon juice, turmeric, and whole milk to create a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your affected skin and leave it on until it dries out.
- Then, scrub the paste off in circular motions, wash with clean water and then pat dry
- Repeat this remedy 3- 4 times a week.
- Lemon Juice
When it comes to natural ways on how to treat melasma at home, lemon juice may be one of the best solutions for you. Lemon juice contains superb astringent properties, so it can lighten the skin naturally. Besides, the acidic properties found in lemon juice also help to remove dead skin cells, thereby removing the top layer of the pigmented skin. This is actually also one of the most effective tips on how to treat melasma that we would like to introduce in the entire article today!
- Take one lemon and then extract its juice.
- Apply lemon juice on your affected areas and gently massage for 1- 2 minutes.
- Let it sit on for about 20 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day within three weeks.
There are other great ways on how to treat melasma in this article. So, keep reading this article and then try to apply one or more of these remedies for good.
Turmeric can help to reduce the production of melanin and reduce the symptoms of melasma. This is because the compound called curcumin found in turmeric contains antioxidant and skin-lightening agents.
- Mix 5 tbsp. of turmeric powder with 10 tbsp. of whole milk to create a paste.
- Add 1 tbsp. of gram flour the paste in order to thicken the mixture.
- Then, apply this paste on your melasma spots and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water before patting dry with a towel.
- Repeat this remedy on a daily basis for best results.
- Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera can help to restore the original color of your skin. Also, it can remove dead skin cells from the skin and boost the skin cell regeneration. So, when you are looking for natural ways on how to treat melasma at home, you should not look down aloe vera. This is actually one of the best tips and treatments that can help you say goodbye to this stubborn and hateful issue once and for all! Let’s check out how you can make use of the aloe vera gel for this purpose right at the comfort of your own home.
- Cut open a medium aloe vera leaf and take out the fresh gel.
- Apply the gel on your melasma spots and then massage it for 1- 2 minutes.
- Leave it on for about 15- 20 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day for several weeks.
This is another great way on how to treat melasma naturally that I want to mention in this article and want people with melasma should apply for good. Almonds have a natural skin-lightening effect. Moreover, almonds can nourish the skin and remove dead skin cells and discoloration.
- Grind 5 soaked almonds with some whole milk to create a fine paste.
- Add 1 tsp. of honey to the paste and mix them well.
- Then, apply this paste on your melasma spots before going to bed.
- Let it sit on overnight and the next morning, rinse it off using cold water.
- Reapply this remedy on a daily basis for two weeks.
- Mix 1 tsp. of almond powder with some honey to create a thick paste
- Gently apply the paste onto your melasma spots and let it sit on for half an hour.
- Wash it off with warm water and then pat it dry.
- Repeat this remedy 3- 4 times a week.
This is the last but very important one on the list of natural ways on how to treat melasma at home. Papain found in papayas is a powerful exfoliating property that can help to remove dead skin cells and discoloration.
- Mash a ripe papaya to get ½ cup of mashed paste and add 2 tbsp. of honey to the paste.
- Apply the paste over your melasma spots.
- Let it on for about 20 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy once per week for a couple of months.
Besides, in order to treat and prevent melasma, you need to:
- Keep your skin covered when going out in the.
- Apply sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. Reapply it every 2 hours.
- Just use mild skincare products
- Avoid waxing because it can cause increased production of melanin.
- Consume more folic acid-rich foods and copper-rich foods
- Take fish oil supplements
After reading this interesting article on this Healthy Guide page, we hope that you can find the best solutions to help you treat the symptoms of melasma. If you know other home remedies for melasma, remember to share with us by leaving your comments in the comment box below.
Author Bio: Lien Nguyen – Writer and Blogger, who has more than 6 years of experience in the industry of Health and Skincare. I work for Healthy Guide – reliable resources that help readers solve all their health, beauty concerning, and many other issues in life. I also focus on nutrition, relationship, fitness, lifestyle, men and women’s issues. Find more of my articles on Facebook.